Pampering from the Pantry: DIY Hair Masks
With the chilly air and fierce wind whipping around your tresses, now is a perfect time to refresh and re-enforce your mane without breaking the bank. These magically moisturizing ingredients can easily and inexpensively be found at your local grocery store, dining hall or even Amazon Prime.
Your Pampering Pantry Arsenal
- Bananas - Bananas are high in potassium which serves to strengthen, restore elasticity, and repair damage. Their natural oils and water content also serve to moisture any dryness. Next time you're leaving the dining hall, grab one for a snack and one for your strands!
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil is a multi-purpose wonder worker in the world of DIY beauty, and it does not fall short when it comes to moisturizing and strengthening your hair. In addition to intense moisturizing properties, this oil facilities hair growth by getting deep into hair follicles, adding luster, shine, and softness, and preventing hair breakage and split ends. This one jar wonder can also be used as a shaving cream, cuticle oil, and makeup remover.
- Olive Oil - Like coconut oil, olive oil also serves as a great moisturizing agent for the hair. Olive oil's moisturizing properties contribute to extra softness, strength, and shine for your tresses.
- Honey - Honey is an emollient, so it works as a natural softener, making for softer and smoother hair. It is also a natural antioxidant, making your scalp healthier and stimulating hair growth.
- Egg - Eggs are rich in protein and thus add many strengthening benefits to the hair. This protein strengthens follicles, making for stronger strands and less split ends. Eggs also smooth and thicken the strands.
- Milk - Milk is excellent for nourishing the scalp and making hair less dry and rough. Treatments with milk make the hair naturally softer and shinier.
- Lemon - Lemons have excellent natural exfoliating properties and can be used to refresh and revive a tired and dry scalp. This can be helpful to reduce oily hair or an itchy scalp.
DIY Hair Masks
To Fix: Damaged Hair
- Ingredients: Egg, Milk, Olive Oil, and Lemon
- How to Make: Combine one separated egg yolk, one cup of milk, two tablespoons of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon. Mix together well and massage the mixture into your scalp. Leave on for 15 minutes while you relax and let your scalp soak up the moisture then wash off.
To Fix: Dull, Unmanageable Hair
- Ingredients: Bananas, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and Honey
- How to Make: Mash up two overripe bananas until there are no chunks remaining. Add one tablespoon of olive oil, one tablespoon of coconut oil, and one tablespoon of honey and blend together. Spread over your hair and allow it to sit on your locks for 5 minutes.
To Fix: Dry Hair
- Ingredients: Milk and Honey
- How to Make: Combine two large tablespoons of honey and one cup of room-temperature, full-fat milk, allowing the honey to melt into the milk. Pour the mixture over your hair and allow to soak in for one hour. Rinse off with your regular shampoo to reveal moisturized, soft, and shiny hair without the weight of alternative heavy moisturizing products.
To Fix: Drier Hair
- Ingredients: Olive Oil and Honey
- How to Make: Mix together four tablespoons of honey and six tablespoons of olive oil. Spread this super nourishing mask over your hair and allow to sink in for 15 to 30 minutes. Cover your hair in a plastic bag to let the mixture really absorb in.
To Fix: Driest Hair
- Ingredients: Coconut Oil
- How to Make: This simple one ingredient mask deeply moisturizes the hair. Work into hair section by section, massaging into the strands and scalp. To ensure the oil deeply absorbs into the hair shaft, cover your head in a warm towel (pro-tip: microwave a damp towel to quickly warm it up). Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes then rinse off and condition as normal.
Are you a fan of DIY beauty recipes? Let us know in the comments below!