MODA Blog Favorites: May
After the end of a grueling month of p-sets, essays, and juggling who knows how many other responsibilities and obligations, MODA Blog brings you a refreshing list of favorites from our bloggers and photographers to fill you with inspiration and energy for the next month.
- Iced Matcha/Green Tea Lattes: I've been obsessed with Matcha Lattes this month! I've been visiting home a lot (home is LA), and LA has a lot of matcha latte options. Matcha is also really good for the body--it's high in antioxidants, detoxifies the body, and burns calories! If you ever find yourself in LA, check out Alfred's Tea Room and Matcha Matcha!
- Wet & Wild Photo Focus Foundation: I picked up this foundation at CVS because it's only $5.99, and I think it might be my new favorite foundation. The finish is satin and skin-like, comparable to MUFE Ultra HD Foundation, and there are a ton of shades! It's also made to look good in any lighting for photography, so this is also a good foundation to wear for special occasions.
- Gisou Honey Infused Hair Oil: I splurged on this hair oil after going back and forth about it for months, and I'm so glad I did because it smells SO good. We all know Negin Mirsalehi is hair goals, and her product really makes your hair feel super soft and silky. This is my haircare essential now!
- Compartes Milk & Cookies Chocolate Bar: I gave up on bikini season years ago and traded it in for a beautiful relationship with Compartes. Let me tell you... Compartes never disappoints. Recently releasing flavors that resemble "dark chocolate graffiti" and avocado, Compartes has one chocolate bar that has me hooked: milk and cookies. If you thought Hershey's Cookies and Cream was good, get ready to be outdone.
- Tarte Brighter Days Moisturizer: Since I started using Tarte's Drink of H2O moisturizer, I didn't think I could ever find a product that I would rather use. As always, I was wrong. The new moisturizer, part of the Athleisure collection, gives me the perfect balance between a dewy look and a lightweight product that last through the day. 10/10 would recommend.
- Maison Margiela's Replica Beach Walk: This item being the last of my birthday binges from Sephora, I'm beyond glad that I picked it out. With a fruity yet musky scent, this perfume mirrors a relaxed walk by a sunset. It's not too overwhelming and doesn't wear off quickly.
- Beach House: This Baltimore-based band always puts me in the right mindset for summer and I currently have their song "Lazuli" playing on repeat. The indie pop duo makes dreamy, reflective and semi-hypnotic songs that are perfect for lazy weekends and road trip playlists. If you're unfamiliar with their music, listen to "Space Song" and "Other People" first.
- Tote bags: Something I've noticed about Parisian style is that tote bags are an essential component of any quintessential Euro-chic outfit. They're incredibly versatile and a lot more comfortable to carry around than a handbag with too-short straps or over complicated hardware. It's also quite fun to start collecting them, especially as tangible memories of the places you've been to. I picked up several from a few of my favorite museums and bookstores while in Paris!
- Rouje: French "it girl" Jeanne Damas is also the founder of the inimitable and effortlessly chic clothing brand Rouje. The line specializes in breezy summer frocks, vintage looking tees and airy blouses that are perfect for everything from relaxing on the French Riviera to picnicking with friends on the Point! The price point is a bit out of reach, but a key piece here and there are definitely worth the long term investment.
- Rainy Mood: I listen to music when I study, but have been finding myself distracted by my favorite songs. I tried switching to tunes in foreign languages, but the human brain is an amazing thing and will inadvertently memorize those sounds as well, and soon enough you are singing and dancing along, back in the same situation as before. Enter Rainy Mood, a site that only plays the sound of rain. They've included various levels of storm, from the soothing pitter patter of a drizzle to the spontaneous beats of a thunderstorm. It's the perfect study soundtrack to keep your ears engaged without losing focus.
- & Other Stories Eyebrow Powder: & Other Stories is a European brand of the H&M group, selling clothing, accessories, and beauty products. A few weeks ago I picked up their (reasonably-priced) eyebrow powder, in shade 4, and I am never going back. After a year of using harsh brow-pencils, I found this eyebrow powder gave my brows the same well-shaped and bold look, but in a more natural way.
- Visit A City: Visit a City is a website and app that provides travel itineraries for solo travelers, families with children, and sightseers. While I generally like to make my own travel plans, Visit A City provides flexible itineraries with highlights of a city's top attractions, ticket reservations, and important navigation information, so you can make the most of a short getaway and spend less time fussing over logistics.
- CorePower Yoga: Inspired to join as a means to get myself moving and mental clarity boosted, I have fallen in love with the yoga environment at CorePower. I'll admit I've been largely convinced to keep going due to their May promotion raffle, but I've noticed so many benefits from continued practice. My favorite classes are Hot Power Fusion for a cleansing hardcore sweat and C2 for a strengthening yoga flow.
- Keeping a Tidy Room: I'm not sure if this constitutes as a favorite or not, but its something I've been forcing myself to do every day. From making my bed to tidying up before going to sleep, I've felt so much for serene and energized for the following day and just in general. The feeling of coming home to a clean room puts me in a great mood, and I've found that the more I get in the habit of tidying as I go, the easier it becomes.
- Milk Makeup's Lip + Cheek in Quickie: As the name implies, this product truly is a quickie, blending effortlessly into the cheeks for a nice berry flush. I dab on just a little on my cheeks and blend it in with a damp beauty blender for a little life to my cheeks. It also doubles great as a balmy lip color!
- Maison Margiela's Replica Lazy Sunday Morning: Echoing Yeju's favorite and my new found habit of tidiness, I have been gravitating towards this perfume as my daily fragrance. The clean linen scent is fresh and gives you the sense of sliding into a freshly washed bed after just shaving your legs (a.k.a. the best feeling known to mankind). My truly lazy Sunday morning hack is to spray this through my hair when its been a little bit too long since the last shampoo.
Featured Image via Kathryn Hicks.