MODA Blog Favorites: April
After the end of a grueling month of p-sets, essays, and juggling who knows how many other responsibilities and obligations, MODA Blog brings you a refreshing list of favorites from our bloggers and photographers to fill you with inspiration and energy for the next month.
- & Other Stories: I've known about this really cool brand for a while now, but have been tentative about purchasing anything online before seeing the products in person. Luckily, I happened upon one of their stores in Belgium the other week and bought these star charm hoop earrings, which have quickly become my favorite pair. The gold is sold out online, but you can still get the silver here!
- Polaroid film: My love for polaroids is nothing new, but recently I've been experimenting with more than just the standard, white bordered film. You can find a ton of cool colors (like pastels and holographic shades) and designs (stars, stripes, etc.) on Urban Outfitters or Amazon. It's a super fun and easy way to add variety into your polaroid collection, especially if you're traveling or celebrating a special occasion.
- Violette_fr: This French beauty guru and makeup artist films the best content! Her YouTube channel is full of really candid vlogs, from doing her own makeup in the back of a cab before a party, to experimenting with different looks on her friends over brunch and taking viewers behind-the-scenes of the various beauty shoots she collaborates on. You can also check out Violette's feature on Into the Gloss here.
- AG Denim's Farrah Skinny Ankle Jean: This perfect pair of jeans is, by far, my favorite pair of jeans I have ever owned. These are so flattering and work wonderfully with cropped tops and sweaters, making it a great jean to transition from winter to spring in. Best of all, this jean doesn't lose its shape or bag at the knee (my two biggest pet peeves in a pair of denim).
- e.l.f Perfect Finish HD Powder: Born of my desperation to find a product to quell my oily skin, this drugstore powder is truly a lifesaver. It can be used as a finishing powder, to set under eye concealer, and to touch up during the day (but I've never had to do that yet!).
- Dipping powder nails: As a frequenter of nail salons, I am always on the hunt for some new way to make my nails look shiny and perfect for as long as possible. I had been getting acrylics for months, but when I came home to Dallas for Spring Break, I was introduced to dipping powder nails. Less damaging than acrylics with much longer staying power and strength, these nails take far shorter of a time to apply and are much safer to remove. A great place to get your dipping powder nails done is at Madelyn Chicago Nail Spa in the West Loop.
- Midi Skirts/Culottes: Retweet me if you hate shaving your legs! After a recent binge of my tax return at Zara, I've been living and breathing the long, flowy, no-razor-burn-here life of midi skirts and culottes. Easy and breezy (@covergirl for your legs anyone?), these bottoms cinch your waist making you look oh so slender and look great in fun patterns.
- Mules: Following suit from the previous favorite, I'd like to thank the federal government for taking far too much money from me throughout the year and giving me a shopping spree every April. Although still waiting for the leather to soften and to break these pups in, I love the chic and polished look paired with a comfortable "slip on and go" lifestyle of these mules.
- Sex and the City: Notorious for watching the bottom of the barrel television, I recently switched up my binging for a fan favorite from years back. Having finished the season (and the two movies), I have discovered an infinite love for the girl drama and madness of finding the one of 90's and early 00's New York. Stream it on Amazon Video or do a little googling and ad-avoiding, as I always do.
- Lemon Water: Lemon water is always all over health blogs and Pinterest, and quite honestly, I've viewed cutting up lemons for my water as a huge hassle and somewhat of a waste. After discovering an ungodly large bottle of lemon juice behind my kettle (thank you to one of my roommates for this previously never used purchase!), I've found my solution of adding lemon juice to water. It seems so simple (and it is, over-preached and all), but a simple favorite is always a good favorite.
- Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil: If you've read any of my previous posts, you know how much I love my matte liquid lipsticks. But they're sometimes way too drying for my lips. Enter this lip pencil! Yes, it's matte but it's also so creamy and velvet-y (hence the name). My favorite shades are Dolce Vita and Cruella.
- Fjall Raven Kanken Mini: This backpack was my lifesaver during Coachella. It fit my water bottle, a sweater for when it gets cold at night, my beauty essentials, sunglasses, phone, and a portable charger! I love the color Ochre--it's a beautiful yellow without being too bright.
- Common Projects: I love my white sneakers--I have them from Nike, Adidas, Vans, and Converse. This month, my boyfriend gifted me these, and they are my favorite white sneakers EVER. They are so minimal but also so beautiful. The leather is soft and molds to your feet, making it the perfect everyday shoe.
- Harry Styles: Everyone's favourite boy-band member is back. On April 15th Harry Styles dropped his first solo single "Sign of the Times." Since 1D took their hiatus (i.e. not a breakup), Harry's undergone a stylistic evolution, from cutting (and donating) his long hair, to filming a movie, and posing for indie magazine Another Man. "Sign of the Times" is also a stylistic departure from what we're used to hearing from 1D — a lot more reminiscent of a 70s ballad than a teen pop song. And it's also apparently about dying in childbirth, so that's cool I guess.
- Shaved Heads: Cara Delevingne and I now have one more thing in common — a shaved head. It's by no means a new trend: women, especially black women, have been doing this for ages. It's nice to see it more mainstream though, and not mocked a la 2007 Britney. The buzzcut is a lot more versatile than you'd think. You can use it to add some edge to a polished or feminine look, or swing the other direction and aim for something more androgynous. Plus it emphasises your facial features and makes your contour extra sharp. However I will warn it's not for the faint of heart. It's scary watching all your hair come off, and waiting for it to grow out is a pain — definitely a look you have to commit to.
- Bandlettes: These are a must for spring. For anyone who's experienced their thighs chaffing in the heat, Bandlettes are a cute and easy solution. You wear them like you'd wear stockings: just slide them up your legs and they'll stay up on the widest part of your thighs. All. Day. And they completely stop chaffing. They come in a variety of colours and patterns. I prefer the lace ones, but there are also solid colours too. Shop here.
Featured image via Kathryn Hicks.