MODA Blog Favorites: February
After the end of a grueling month of p-sets, essays, and juggling who knows how many other responsibilities and obligations, MODA Blog brings you a refreshing list of favorites from our bloggers and photographers to fill you with inspiration and energy for the next month.
- Limetown Podcast: Limetown is a fictional podcast telling the story of the disappearance of a secret research facility town and its inhabitants. This story seriously sucks you in (I listened to all seven episodes in one day while mixing chemicals at work). It's eery, thrilling, and leaves you longing for more; I cannot recommend it highly enough! Check out the Podcast on iTunes or on the Limetown website.
- Doc Marten Eleanore Boots: These boots are incredibly comfortable and quick to slip on - perfect for long walks and lazy mornings. Their pebbled leather is both durable and waterproof, and their high shaft height is right on trend.
- Glossier Haloscope: As a new addition to my makeup drawer post binge order from Glossier, the Haloscope in Quartz has quickly become my favorite face product. I swipe it on my cheekbones, nose bridge, and cupid's bow, then blend quickly with a damp beauty blender for all day glowy, fresh skin.
Legion: Hear me out. There are a lot of bad superhero TV shows out there, but Legion is decidedly different. The FX show is a spin off the popular X-Men series and stars Dan Stevens (of Downton Abbey and Beauty & the Beast fame), Aubrey Plaza, Rachel Keller and a slew of other familiar faces. The brain-child of Fargo creator, Noah Hawley, the series follows Stevens as David Haller, a psychiatric patient and ex-drug addict with the mutant ability to alter reality. The show’s writing and cinematography is surprisingly well done, and oddly reminiscent of a Wes Anderson flick. Definitely give this show a try if you’re into psychological trillers and/or 1960s-era fashion. Watch the trailer here.
Milk Makeup Eye Pigment: I made an impulse buy at Urban Outfitters earlier this year and gave Milk Makeup’s Lip + Cheek tint a try. I’ve been using it as my go-to blush ever since and love its creamy consistency and easy application. I recently decided to give their Eye Pigment a shot as well, since I’ve been on the market for a durable, no-crease eyeshadow. My order also came with two complimentary mini lipsticks and a duo sunscreen-concealer sample!
Discover Weekly on Spotify: This isn’t groundbreaking by any means, but if you don’t already know about this cool feature, Spotify always offers a weekly roundup of new songs based on existing playlists and tracks you listen to. I try to make it a point to tune into my Discover Weekly playlist every Friday while I’m at work and I’ve been able to find a lot of really interesting, lesser-known artists as a result. Check out the bands Fleece or Hippo Campus while you're at it!
- Sol de Janiero Brazilian Bum Bum Cream: Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream has become my new favorite moisturizer for all over the body. Normally, I hate putting on moisturizer because of the tacky and sticky feeling (and then I can't put on my clothes), but the Brazilian Bum Bum Cream dries quickly into the skin, leaving it smooth and soft. Also, it smells so good, like summer in a bottle, and the scent lasts all day.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Ever since Parks & Rec ended, no show has ever been the same, not even New Girl which I had such high hopes for. But in February, I was introduced to Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a police sitcom that is both witty, funny, and heart-warming. I binge-watched this, and I can't wait for it to come back in April!
- Fujifilm INSTAX SHARE SP-2 Smart Phone Printer: Since Valentine's Day was in February, I had to get a little crafty with my gift to my Valentine. Compiling a collage, I used the Instax Smart Phone Printer which was super handy and easy to use! Sometimes, I can't be bothered to bring my Polaroid around, so this is perfect for tangible photos that you took on your IPhone!
- La La Land: Even though men have criticized this film and even though I expected to hate it, I instantly fell in love with the revival of romantic Hollywood cinematic techniques. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone may not be renown for their singing and dancing abilities, but Director Damien Chazelle is someone who I really look up to. At just 32 years old, he already has two oscar nominated films - I repeat 32.
- Benefit Precisely, my brow pencil: I very recently discovered that make-up is a thing I should invest in, and one of my first purchases was this awesome brow pencil in shade 04 medium. I naturally have thick eyebrows, so I don't want anything too thick. This pencil and brush is perfect for smoothing all the strays in place and adding a bit of definition to my brows.
- The study bun: February comes with a lot of frumpy sweaters and late nights in the library. One hairstyle that pairs perfectly with both of these is what I call the "study bun." While this bun is easy and comfortable when you need to get half of your hair out of your face, it's also adorable and flattering on everyone's face.
Featured Image via Kathryn Hicks.